Grand Train Tour of Switzerland ClassicPlaces Covered : Interlaken – Jungfraujoch Top of Europe – GoldenPass Express – Montreux – Zermatt – Glacier Express – St. Moritz – Bernina Express – Lugano – Lucerne
DAY 1 – Arrival in Interlaken
Arrival in Interlaken by train and overnight.
DAY 2 – Jungfraujoch
Breakfast at the hotel. A 1st highlight of your visit to Switzerland awaits you. Enjoy a journey to the Jungfraujoch Top of Europe, the highest railway station in Europe located at 3454 m. Don’t miss out the following attractions: Alpine Sensation, Sphinx, Jungfrau Panorama, Lindt Swiss Chocolate Heaven, Ice Palace and Snow Fun.
Overnight in Interlaken.
DAY 3 – Interlaken – Montreux (3h15)
Breakfast at the hotel. Today you travel with the GoldenPass Express without changing trains to Montreux on the shore of Lake Geneva. Optionally you can also take regional trains from Interlaken to Zweisimmen and from there the GoldenPass Panoramic or Belle Époque to Montreux. You find yourself among alpine forests, bubbling mountain springs and picturesque mountain villages. We recommend a visit to Chillon Castle, a moated castle on the shores of Lake Geneva.
Overnight in Montreux.
DAY 4 – Montreux – Zermatt (2h40)
Breakfast at the hotel. Today you take a regional train to Zermatt, the marvellous and famous car-free alpine resort at the foot of the majestic Matterhorn. Time for an optional excursion by cogwheel railway up to the Gornergrat where you will have a superb panoramic view of the Matterhorn, Mont Blanc and other snow-capped peaks rising to above 4000 m. Or experience the peak of sporting adventures in the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise. At an airy 3883 m you will find Europe’s highest cableway and summit station. For a little fee you may take the Crystal Ride cabins from Trockener Steg to the summit, an unbeatable experience.
Overnight in Zermatt.
DAY 5 – Glacier Express Zermatt – St. Moritz (8h)
Breakfast at the hotel. Today you board the Glacier Express for one of the greatest train journeys in the world. On an 8 hour rail journey the world’s slowest express train takes you across 291 bridges, through 91 tunnels and across the Oberalp Pass at 2’033 m. Travel in comfort through the unspoilt natural beauty of a landscape rich in ancient, fragrant mountain forests, peaceful Alpine meadows, rushing mountain streams and mountain valleys, soaked in tradition and centuries-old culture.
Overnight in St. Moritz.
DAY 6 – Bernina Express St. Moritz – Lugano (8h30)
Breakfast at the hotel. Today you travel with the Bernina Express of the Rhaetian Railway along the UNESCO World Heritage route. Enjoy an Alpine switchback ride, taking you from the towering glaciers of the mountains down to the swaying palms of the Ticino and Italy. The Bernina Express is the highest railway line across the Alps, linking Northern and Southern Europe in the most spectacular way! The Bernina Express train takes you to Tirano where you will have time for an optional lunch break. Then board the Bernina Express coach to Lugano.
Overnight in Lugano.
DAY 7 – Lugano – Lucerne (1h40)
Breakfast at the hotel. Train journey from Lugano to Lucerne. Experience the Gotthard Base Tunnel – with 57 kilometres it is the longest train tunnel in the world. It takes only 17 minutes to travel this fast flat-track route under the Alpine massif in the heart of Europe. Optional add the Gotthard Panorama Express. Rest of the day at leisure. We recommend the following excurions: Mount Titlis, Mount Rigi or Mount Pilatus.
Overnight in Lucerne.
DAY 8 – Lucerne and return journey
Breakfast at the hotel. Time for leisure in Lucerne and individual return journey.
Tour Price Includes
- Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi: Grand Train Tour of Switzerland (8 transfers) including excursion to Jungfraujoch in 2nd class from/to Swiss border or airport
- Seat reservation in the GoldenPass Express, Bernina Express (train + coach) and Glacier Express
- 1 night in Montreux, 3* hotel, standard double room with breakfast
- 1 night in Zermatt, 3* hotel, standard double room with breakfast
- 1 night in St. Moritz, 3* hotel, standard double room with breakfast
- 1 night in Lugano, 3* hotel, standard double room with breakfast
- 1 night in Lucerne, 3* hotel, standard double room with breakfast
- 2 nights in Interlaken, 3* hotel, standard double room with breakfast
- Travel Kit with Swiss Map, detailed day/time wise itinerary, all necessary documents and complete information.
- Any additional tickets for optional excursions to travel by rail, boat, postal-coach and cable car can be purchased at 25–50% of the regular fares
Tour Price Excludes
- Meals other than those indicated above, drinks, tips, laundry, telephone calls & expenses of personal nature.
- Local City tax or Resort fee are to be paid directly at hotel/resort if applicable.